Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Memorial of Saint John Chrysostom

The dead man sat up and began to speak,
and Jesus gave him to his mother.
As a pastor in Jennings Louisiana I created my own scriptural rosary for funeral wakes. I had heard a radio preacher enthuse: “Jesus never attended a funeral that he didn’t change the program!” And so, rather than the usual meditations, I chose gospel stories about funerals. This one from Luke’s gospel occupied the first decade.
(Before each Hail Mary, I read the first part of each verse and the congregation responded with the second):
V. Jesus journeyed to a city called Nain,
R. and his disciples and a large crowd accompanied him.
V. As he drew near to the gate of the city,
R. a dead man was being carried out,
V. He was the only son of his mother,
R. and she was a widow.
V. When the Lord saw her,
R. he was moved with pity for her.
V. He said to her,
R. "Do not weep."
V. He stepped forward and touched the coffin; the bearers halted and he said,
R.  "Young man, I tell you, arise!"
V. The dead man sat up and began to speak,
R. and Jesus gave him to his mother.
V. Fear seized them all,
R. and they glorified God,
V. They said, "A great prophet has arisen in our midst,"
R. and "God has visited his people."
V. This report about him spread through the whole of Judea
R. and in all the surrounding region.
The raising of Jairus’ daughter was the second; the third, Lazarus; and the fourth, Easter. That left only one more decade which I filled with verses from Revelation, “The Song of the Lamb.”
Jesus still “changes the program” of our funerals. Where we might have expected gloom and despair, we find hope in God’s promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.