Thursday, September 1, 2011

Thursday of the Twenty-Second Week in Ordinary Time

...strengthened with every power, in accord with his glorious might,
for all endurance and patience,
with joy giving thanks to the Father, who has made you fit to share
in the inheritance of the holy ones in light.
He delivered us from the power of darkness...
Militarily and economically the United States has been the most powerful nation on earth since the Second World War. Three generations of Americans have been born since then, raised with the perks of privilege and entitlement. Inevitably, we must be fascinated by power and the urge to dominate anything and anyone within reach. But, as the earth grows “flatter” and we surrender intellectual dominance to other nations, we face a future of increasing vulnerability and dwindling resources.
Prophets appear among us promising the power to get what we want, go where we want and do what we want. These charlatans wear both religious and secular garb, tempting us with various schemes. Their essential message is always, “You’re okay. You don’t have to change, reform or repent. You don’t have to adjust to the changes around you. Buy what I sell you and you’ll have the power to make them adjust to you!”
The power of which the gospel speaks is greater than anything these false prophets can imagine because it changes us. For starters, the Holy Spirit gives us the authority to forgive those we cannot forgive.  And it’s readily accessible. I think of someone who has offended me; I ask God to forgive him although I cannot; I ask God to bless him although I would not; and I get on with my life. When I come back to prayer later in the day, I’ll notice the hate is gone. That relief is more satisfying than the roar of a Harley Davidson or the sweetness of Jim Beam.  
Following in the footsteps of Jesus we realize we have never needed all that much power, and we can live without so many things we considered essential. His Holy Spirit gives us power to forgive, welcome and reconcile. We can atone for the misdeeds we would never even own before God's grace came upon us. We discover with some surprise, “I don’t need restitution or revenge.” We can reassure, calm and heal. We can trust, share and give. With new wisdom we can understand what we dared not think of. 


Finally, we can see beauty where we never imagined it, and be thrilled with the pleasure of it as God…
delivers us from the power of darkness and transfer(s) us to the Kingdom of his beloved Son,
in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.