Saturday, October 1, 2011

Memorial of Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus, virgin and doctor of the Church

The Foggy Dew
at Mount Saint Francis
At that very moment he rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said,
"I give you praise, Father, Lord of heaven and earth,
for although you have hidden these things
from the wise and the learned
you have revealed them to the childlike.
Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will.
Two young women charmed the entire Roman Catholic Church early in the twentieth century, and both still speak to us today. Saint Maria Goretti was murdered in 1902 and Saint Therese died in 1897. Their stories are widely told and St Therese’s statue appears in thousands, if not tens of thousands, of catholic churches. (I have added Wikipedia links to their names and recommend both.) Saint Therese’s autobiography was an instant best seller when it was published shortly after her death. Recently it has been restored with all of its 19th century piety and original saltiness; and has fostered another wave of enthusiasm for her cult.
The Lord was certainly speaking of her when he said, “You have revealed (these hidden things) to the childlike.” Although she was very mature in her faith and spirituality, she aspired to simplicity and childlike faith in God. She did not need to know the why of everything. 
Therese is especially remembered for her hope that she would be a “little flower” in the Lord’s garden. He should walk in his garden occasionally, enjoying its fragrance and beauty.  That would be satisfaction for her.
As I drive the highways and scan the television and find myself one among billions of people who populate this planet, I am charmed by her ambition. It is foolish to aspire to greatness in such a mass. I don’t need to be a star; I shudder to think what my “fifteen minutes of fame” might amount to. But a thing of beauty like Saint Therese or Saint Maria is a joy forever; I can hope for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.