Friday, September 14, 2012

Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross


http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/091412.cfm

And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, so that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life."

Three time in the Gospel of Saint John we hear about his being "lifted up."  Today's gospel is the first one, Chapter 3: 13-14. The second is Chapter 8: 28
So Jesus said (to them), “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will realize that I AM, and that I do nothing on my own, but I say only what the Father taught me.
And the third is John 12: 32-33
And when I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw everyone to myself.” He said this indicating the kind of death he would die.
These verses cannot "explain" the mystery of the cross but they give us a vital insight into its depths. First, remember that the count of three in the scriptures usually indicates fullness, or "to the max." Jesus was tempted three times in the desert; and prayed three times in Gethsemane. We can suppose Jesus often spoke of his coming trial in Jerusalem and those who know Jesus should not be surprised by it.

With the first prophecy Jesus says he will be lifted up so that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life." Just as we sing Lift High the Cross, we should understand that Jesus was raised up on the cross so that the whole world might see him. It was, as Leonard Cohen said, "a lonely wooden tower."
In fact we know the Romans usually crucified people near the roads approaching cities so that all passersby might see them. It was a horrible sight that served to terrify and traumatize the city, its people and its guests. It was intended to make rebellion unthinkable. 

But when Jesus was crucified its meaning was reversed. His crucifixion inspired not horror but faith; everyone who sees it believes and has eternal life.

In his second prophecy Jesus says, then you will realize that I AM, and that I do nothing on my own, but I say only what the Father taught me.  This is a clear teaching about Jesus relationship to the Father. He is God, the Son of God, the Obedient Son of God. Seeing him lifted on the cross you have some sense -- a deeper appreciation -- of its import. Anyone who despises obedience misunderstands everything they have heard about Jesus.

Thirdly, there are two more statements. (As I understand, in numerology three often wants to become four.)

I will draw everyone to myself.”  Saint Augustine pointed out, "The heart is drawn to love as iron is drawn to a magnet." Seeing Jesus dying in obedience on the cross we must come to him. His arms are stretched out in utter abandonment and total openness to us. It is a sign of greeting, of surrender, of total gift. How can we not come to him? 


Rather than repelling us as the Romans intended, we rush to be with our Crucified Lord. Rather than submitting to the Roman's earthly power, we eagerly obey God's heavenly authority. The rulers of this world must "cast down their golden crowns upon the glassy sea" before Jesus. Their power has been shattered by him. 

Finally, He said this indicating the kind of death he would die.  An interpreter who thinks this is an obvious reference to the historical fact of his crucifixion misses the point. The kind of death he would die is a death of loving, self-surrendered sacrifice. Saint Francis urged us,
Look at the humility of God,

And pour out your hearts before him.
Humble yourselves
That you may be exalted by him.
Hold nothing of yourselves for yourselves
That he who gives himself totally for you
May receive you totally. 

from his "Letter to the Entire Order"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.