Friday, September 28, 2012

Friday of the Twenty-fifth Week


Penny for your thoughts?
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to uproot the plant. A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to tear down, and a time to build.

The best remembered and most-often cited passage of Ecclesiastes is today’s song: “There is an appointed time for everything.” If people sometimes wonder why this apparently pessimistic, even cynical work was placed in our Bible, they have only to study this passage. It is a wise saying for every age and every culture. Only the most arrogant would think they can control time.
But the passage also fits well into Qoheleth’s thought. Here is a man who has, by his own admission, tried to do things his own way. He has tried to force the hour. He may have attempted even to leave his mark in history. The reader might say, “Well, he has written this immortal work!” But Qoheleth is only a title; we don’t know who he was, when or where he lived. The word means collector (of students or of proverbs). He was a redactor, an editor of other people’s thought.
Today’s song of the times celebrates the sage’s surrender to the mystery of life. There are no proverbs which apply to every time. One moment’s wisdom is another moment’s foolishness.
I was greatly influenced by, and somewhat active in, the anti-war movement of the 1960’s. I saw nothing useful or good about war. “What if they gave a war and nobody came?” I asked, as if the issue could be reduced to a bumper sticker. Fifty years later, we might still debate the merits of that particular war. But today I find myself more open to the terrible wisdom of Qoheleth: There is a time for war, and a time for peace. To misread the time is not wisdom; it is disastrous. Though I opposed the invasion of Afghanistan when it began ten years ago, as a reaction to attacks of 9/11/2001, I cannot say that an American military adventure is always wrong in every situation.
Only the Spirit of God knows what the time is. Should I listen or speak? Should I embrace or keep a distance? Should I help or refuse to help? In every active day there are a thousand situations in which I make such choices, for better or for worse. Daily surrender to prayer helps immensely in guiding me through these choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.