Thursday, September 20, 2012

Tuesday of the Twenty-seventh Week in Ordinary Time

A dragonfly
http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/100912.cfm

The Lord said to her in reply,
"Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things.
There is need of only one thing.
Mary has chosen the better part
and it will not be taken from her."



I can think of only a few places in scripture when God calls a person’s name twice:
  • But the angel of the Lord called to him from heaven, and said, ‘Abraham, Abraham!’ And he said, ‘Here I am.’ Genesis 22: 11
  • God called to him out of the bush, ‘Moses, Moses!’ And he said, ‘Here I am.’ Exodus 3: 4
  • He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, ‘Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?’ Acts of the Apostles 9.4:
These three are God’s address to a particular person. They are sudden, unexpected, intense and demanding. In this fourth incident, Jesus’ calling Martha is rich with human affection. In every case I hear the name used as a powerful call to the innermost self. “Martha, Martha, here I am, Jesus, your friend. Remember who you are; remember who I am.” 

Clearly, the repetition means “Stop everything! Drop everything! Pay attention to me! I am your God!” Abraham and Moses respond with the perfect word of prayer, “Here I am.” Saul also immediately surrendered his life to the Lord who revealed himself as Jesus. 

Saint Luke leaves this story of Martha unfinished, just as he leaves the Parable of the Prodigal Son unfinished. Did the older son surrender his resentments and welcome his prodigal brother home? Did Martha roll her eyes in despair and storm back into the kitchen? Or did she fall at Jesus’ feet in tears? Perhaps she just sat down and took ten deep breaths until the raging stopped. We can well imagine a long period of nervous silence in the room as Jesus, Mary and the crowd of disciples waited for Martha to regain her serenity. Hopefully, after a while, it evolved into a peaceful, friendly silence; and then Jesus resumed his teaching. When a scripture story remains unfinished, I suppose it’s left to you and me to decide how it ends. 

Imagine in your personal prayer the Lord calling you by name. And imagine your response. His voice is dear and you hope to recognize it clearly on that day when he calls you by name, as he called Lazarus, out of the grave. 

But now thus says the Lord,
he who created you, O Jacob,
he who formed you, O Israel:
Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name, you are mine.

Isaiah 43.1

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.